Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Right around the corner

Just the other day it hit me. Now that I have thought about it for a couple days and it is starting to sink in, it is making me anxious and eager. My life is going to change fast when December comes around. It’s time for me to graduate!
When I sit back and think about graduating, I fill with excitement. I have lived in the same house for 23 years, excluding two years I spent at school in Oklahoma. I have never left my home roots. I am excited for the day when I can pick up all of my things, leave the house and start a new life.  Don’t get me wrong. Living at home is nice. But sometimes it feels like a prison. I want to break out and take a big bite of the world. I want to get my hands dirty and work hard for something.  I want to put all this hard work behind me. I am ready to turn those grades in to cash. I look forward to starting my career.
Career. When I hear that word I feel began to feel old. I feel like I now have a purpose. I am looking forward to starting my life. When I start feeling all of these emotions, I know it’s time to enter the real world and get a job. I have been blessed with people at Texas Wesleyan that are putting me in the right situations too succeed. This week the school is putting on a weeklong clinic. They are helping students out with resume clean ups, practice Interviews, real interviews, dinner etiquette and hopefully getting some lucky students a new job.  This job could possibly turn in to a career.  The employers are looking for college students. They are looking for part time, full time and even positions that people may never want to leave. I am setting my expectations high during the interviews. I hope that all the companies don’t want me. I would hate to disappoint someone. On the other hand if no one wants me,( not likely with fingers crossed), I would know  that this was just not the opportunity I was looking for. I was taught that you all ways have two ways to look at something. Good or bad. You can’t begin to imagine what good a person can do if they look at every situation as a positive. Your Outlook will change for everything. If no one wants me it was because I am to do grater things. It would just be a little more convenient if I was to find an employer through the school.  The jobs are out there. I have always felt this way. Now it’s my turn to grab one and show everyone around me what I am capable of doing. Get ready world. I am on your heals!!! 

2 comments:

  1. You will do fine on your own, Garrett though you will probably miss home cooked meals. :)

    I really like your attitude about not getting the first job you interview for, for God may have other plans for you. One time I interviewed for a teaching position in Dallas, at Dallas County Community College. I was definitely the most qualified, but due to racial preferences I did not get the job. I was crushed, but I knew then that it was because something better was going to come my way. In two weeks, UTA called me, and I taught there for two years. I left there to go to Oklahoma, for that university offered me a better position. I left that due to my husband's illness, but I did not worry, for I knew that something better would happen, and sure enough, here I am at Wesleyan. After 15 years here, I know that I was preparing to be here all along. Had I taken the position at DCCC, I probably would still be there, and my life would be so different. I love the life I have. The right position will come at the right time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry, Garrett, you will do great out there on your own. Being on your own is a little scary at first, but you will get a routine and will soon come to love it. And you have a good attitude about finding a job. The right job will come along when it is supposed to. Early congrats on your graduation!

    ReplyDelete